Monday, February 20, 2012

Flash's Routine

Flash seems to be comfortable in the family now. He has a lot of different experiences every day, starting with our 1-mile walk. Flash runs most of the way, playing with Honey if she's with us. Towards the end of the walk, Flash takes off to the middle of the pasture, chasing birds and running as fast as he can. It's fun to watch him.

We have a couple of things to work on:

1.  Walking on a loose leash; heeling. On a 6 ft. leash with his normal collar, Flash pulls and resists the leash. He does better with the prong collar, but it's obvious he has never been trained to walk nicely on leash.

2.  Getting along with the horses. I am very disappointed that I can't ride my horse and have Flash run along with us. He would have so much fun and exercise if he would just get along with the horses.

Otherwise, Flash is a quick learner. I started teaching him to "Place," meaning to step around me from my right to my left side and then sit. If he does it, he gets a cookie. I began with a light lead, coaxing him to step around me. He did well, and I stopped using the leash, having him "Place" off leash. That's hard, but he's getting it.

He also likes to play ball in the back yard and play tug with his toys in the living room

He loves to run to the office while Dennis rides his bike. Then Homero takes him for a run in the afternoon. All-in-all, he is an active little dog and seems very happy.

Yesterday, Honey came to visit, showing up at our door all by herself. I let her in the back yard with Flash and they had a good time playing until Mom called her home.

No comments:

Post a Comment