Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Flash Goes on a Trail Ride

One of my priority goals has been to have Flash run along the trail as I rode Doc, my quarter horse. We have been doing a lot of desensitizing so Flash would be comfortable with the horses. Finally, a payoff. Today, I took Flash with me to the barn and Betsy, the horse trainer, came over for our regular Wednesday lesson.

I did a little training with Flash (involving lots of cookies) while Betsy saddled the horse. Then we started off with me walking Flash on a leash and Betsy riding the horse. We walked down the road and into the pasture as far as we could go and back again. Flash pretty much ignored Doc right from the beginning, so I removed the leash and let him run free. He did great, never once interfering with the horse. No barking, nothing. When we got back to the barn, we switched places so I was riding the horse and Betsy was walking along just in case Flash did anything wrong. He was perfect.

When we got back from the second run, Flash was comfortable enough to lie next to the horse while we unsaddled, brushed, and put him away. What a good dog and good horse, too. Yea.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so proud of both of them !!! Betsy :)

    ReplyDelete